Using your laptop to make a real difference in your teaching
If you have recently (or not so recently) been given a laptop to use in your classroom, then this course is for you. You will learn the key skills to work with the laptop, and then move on to creating, publishing and sharing what you have done using word processing, spreadsheets and presentation tools – while being mindful of key pedagogical issues when introducing ICTs into the classroom. Furthermore, you will be able to enhance your classroom management and assessment with the laptop skills you develop. This course consists of 12 sessions.
- Session 1: Your first laptop – Learn what a laptop is, and get to understand the basics of hardware, apps, software and connectivity.
- Session 2: Producing written documents (using Microsoft Word) Part 1 – Learn the basics of Microsoft Word and word processing apps and create an announcement
- Session 3: Producing written documents (using Microsoft Word) Part 2 – Build on the basics of Microsoft Word and word processing apps and create class notes.
- Session 4: Producing written documents (using Microsoft Word) Part 3 – Extend your knowledge of Microsoft Word and word processing apps and create a test or exam paper.
- Session 5: Processing numerical data (using Microsoft Excel) Part 1 – Learn the basics of Microsoft Excel and data processing apps and create a class list.
- Session 6: Processing numerical data (using Microsoft Excel) Part 2 – Build on the basics of Microsoft Excel and data processing apps and create a mark sheet and graphs/charts.
- Session 7: Preparing presentations (using Microsoft PowerPoint) – Learn the basics of Microsoft PowerPoint and presentation apps, create a PowerPoint presentation and learn how to use PowerPoint effectively in a classroom.
- Session 8: Keeping things together (using Microsoft OneNote) – Learn how to take control of your admin and teaching using Microsoft OneNote and note-taking apps to create notes in different formats and a lesson preparation template.
- Session 9: Managing files – Learn how to manage files for greater productivity; and then learn where to store them safely.
- Session 10: Connecting with the world – Learn how to use a printer, access the internet effectively, how to collaborate online with others and how to keep in touch with email.
- Session 11: Using a display device with your laptop – Learn how to set up and use data projectors, interactive whiteboards and document cameras in pedagogically sound ways in your classroom.
- Session 12: Making it work with JUST ONE LAPTOP – Learn how to make just ONE laptop work to everyone’s benefit in a classroom – from the theory to practical applications.
CPTD Points: 5 Type 3 per session / 60 for the course
Cost: R125 per session / R1 500 for the course